[Vk5-wx-sonde] This mornings Sonde.

Paul Roehrs paul.roehrs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 23:11:10 PST 2018

Now that I am home using my computer instead of my antique Nokia Windows
Phone I can see what happened.

Sorry Liam for messing up your day.  I was at my son in laws place near
Kersbrook intending to help him out preparing for the fire season.  I
had told him about WX sondes and tuned up the frequency on my radio and
noticed it was very strong.  So I got out my trusty old windows phone
and got up a limited view of habhub which after lots of messing around
finally gave me the predicted position of the sonde landing which just
happened to be just up the road.  So as I had DF gear on board we set of
to see if we could find it.  The signal dropped out as we headed towards
it but we got a strong signal on Mt Gawler Road and stopped at the
nearest fire track and got out the DF gear.  Checking any progress on
habhub was not very practical as it required finding the shadiest spot
we could find to read the screen.  From the last predicted position we
expected it to be in the scrub but then as we went down the fire track
it didn't take much to work out that it was south of the fire track so
we crossed over an old low fence, with no sign of a farmhouse and got a
very strong signal. We soon found it, picked it up, turned it off, went
back to the fire track, found a shady spot and sent a hurried text to
say it had been recovered.  We were quite surprised that we did not see
anybody else tracking it.  By the way with my limited view of habhub on
the phone the only way I can get it to see sondes is to edit the address
line which includes the query and then take out the ! before RS so all I
get on it is sondes.   I also do not get to see who is supplying the
tracking data.  I have to edit the address line as I cannot get the
query field to show like it does on my computer.

The only reason I put "Competition" in my email was because in a recent
email Mark said he wanted some competition this weekend.  I also only
saw the email that Liam was out chasing was when I got home.  One day I
must do something about updating my phone, but one step at a time.

Hope there are no hard feelings.

73

Paul

VK5NE