[Vk5-wx-sonde] Proof of Hobart launches and long distance decode.

michael mcdonald vk3zqv at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 02:10:10 PDT 2018

Hello All,
I have now seen Radio Sonde's over the ocean east of Hobart a number of times once the VK3 one drops out of my range as they are on the same frequency so it confirms they are launching them at the same time as the main land.
My maximum distance decode was 587.6K at 867 meters above the ocean
I am just using my Diamond 2/70 vertical on the house roof to an SDRplay with a 70cm preamp but am considering making a short beam and preamp for 401MHz to see if I can crack the 600K range.
There are currently 2 of us tracking in eastern Victoria, we can copy from just out of Melbourne right around to almost ground in the rangers to the north and ground if just coming easterly plus the Wagga ones when up from mid height and I have discovered the VK7 ones when the local one is out of range.
Regards all
Michael
VK3MM