[Vk5-wx-sonde] Radar reflector orientation

Mark Jessop vk5qi at rfhead.net
Thu Feb 13 19:36:46 PST 2020

Hi Bev (and welcome to the group!),

Yes, usually the pointing end is usually facing down!

However, the sonde tracking radar at the airport was decommissioned and
removed a few years ago, so the radar reflectors are only used as makeshift
parachutes. I've been told they will eventually switch to in-balloon
parachutes, but for now they are using up stock of the reflectors.

I take it you found the balloon remnants attached on the pointy end?

Cheers,
Mark VK5QI