[Vk5-wx-sonde] Marking old sondes as recovered

Mark Jessop vk5qi at rfhead.net
Thu Jan 6 22:48:11 PST 2022

Hi all!

(yes, this list still exists! I think)

If you haven't seen it, sondehub now has a 'historical launches' feature.
There's info on how to use this here:
https://github.com/projecthorus/sondehub-tracker/wiki/SondeHub-Tracker-User-Guide#historical-launch-site-data

If you have a pile of old radiosondes in the corner of the shack and are
feeling really bored, you might consider going and marking them as
recovered on the tracker.

To do this:
1. Open the tracker (tracker.sondehub.org)
2. Type the sonde's serial number into the search box at the top left. If
the sonde is in the Sondehub database, then its track information will show
up. If there's nothing on the map within maybe 20 seconds then the sonde
might pre-date the Sondehub database (which started mid 2018). I've found
that the N-series RS41s are a bit hit-and-miss in this regard. P/R/S/T
sondes are usually OK, with some R-series sondes missing for some reason.
3. If the sonde shows up, open the chase car tab.
4. Enter your callsign up the top of the chase car tab.
5. Down the bottom of the tab, enter the sondes serial number, check that
'Recovery success' is set
6. Put in some notes if you want, if you can remember what happened at the
recovery! Otherwise just put in something like 'Catching up on historical
sondes'.
7. Complete the Re-Capcha ('I am not a robot'), then click submit.

Repeat the above from step 2 for all the sondes you have! You will have to
re-do the re-capcha every now and again.

I've just gone through all of my collection, including the ones Steve VK5ST
gave me a few months ago.

73
Mark VK5QI