[Vk5-wx-sonde] Chasemapper pi problems.

Paul Roehrs paul.roehrs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 20:24:32 PDT 2021

Just wondering if anyone has some simple solutions to these problems

I use a headless raspberry pi 3 for chasemapper in my vehicle wifi
connected to a hotspot on a dedicated windows phone now using amysim on
the Optus network.  For backup I can use my normal mobile phone on the
Belong network ( a subset of the Telsta network which I have found is
somewhat inferior to Optus)  I wifi connect to this setup using a
windows laptop using VNC for control and Google Chrome to monitor the
chasemapper output.

The problem I have is that starting the Pi which automatically connects
to the hotspot quite often lead to a change in IP address since the last
time it connected.  As I connect to the pi using a windows laptop I need
to know the ip address of the pi.  Windows Command line instruction arp
-a should list all connected IP addresses but it often does not show the
pi even though it is wifi connected.  So I cannot find the ip address
easily unless I connect a keyboard, monitor and mouse to my mobile pi.
This is a frequent annoyance to which I have yet to find an easy solution.

The other problem I have is that despite building a higher capacity
power supply for my mobile pi and setting the output to 5.5 Volts and
using the heaviest and shortest USB power lead I am still getting low
voltage warnings on the pi.  I have the same problem on my home pi and
this has only happened since recent Pi OS upgrades. If I use my original
power supplies I get unwanted shutdowns and reboots as the undervoltage
problem is even worse..

73

Paul

VK5NE